Choosing a Product
Every home and condition is unique! While the average height we sell is 6 inch, and our most popular font is Palm Springs, here are a few tips to help you decide:
- Express yourself! Visit our Gallery for inspiration
- Measure your available installation area both horizontally and vertically.
- For bolder looks or greater viewing distances, choose 8 inch or 12 inch. Refer to our Viewing Distances + Sizing Guide or Plaque Viewing Distances + Sizing Guide for more information.
- If you’re tight on space, consider a vertical orientation or a personalized plaque.
- View our product sizes and widths in our Technical Specifications
- Refer to Viewing Distances + Sizing Guide to determine if your numbers/letters in your chosen font, size and orientation will fit nicely within your available installation area.
- Plaques have reduced visibility especially in our darker finishes. Refer to our Plaque Viewing Distances + Sizing Guide for more information.
- Check with your HOA or municipality for any size requirements or restrictions.
Here are our suggestions when deciding on the best place to install your modern house numbers, letters, or plaque:
- The best spot has good visibility. Please refer to our Viewing Distances + Sizing Guide or Plaque Viewing Distances + Sizing Guide .
- The best spot has ample installation area.
- Walls, fences, columns, garages, and monuments are the most common locations.
- If possible, select a location that has building or site/landscape lighting for night time visibility.
- Our aluminum and powder coated products can be installed on most surfaces, including wood, stucco, stone, brick, concrete, etc.
When choosing a finish, contrast is key!
- Choose a finish that maximizes contrast and legibility.
- Brushed aluminum, matte brass and white powder coat finishes create maximum contrast on darker surfaces.
- Matte black or dark bronze powder coat finishes create maximum contrast on lighter surfaces.
- Plaques in darker finishes have reduced visibility. Refer to our Plaque Viewing Distances + Sizing Guide.
- Consider coordinating with your other hardware and trim.
- Powder coat finishes are highly recommended if you live in a coastal or industrial area.
Our products are made to last and finished to withstand the elements.
Brushed Aluminum Finish:
We apply multiple coats of a weatherproof clear satin topcoat to help protect the aluminum from UV, salt air, and other environmental corrosives.
Powder Coat Finishes: Matte Black, White, Matte Brass and Dark Bronze
Powder coat finishes are tougher than conventional paint. Our powder
coat finishes are low gloss or matte and won’t peel or flake. The life expectancy of powder coated products is much longer than conventionally painted products and are more resistant to chipping, scratching, chemicals, fading, and general wear and tear.
For durability in coastal and industrial areas, we highly recommend a powder coat finish. Choose from matte black, matte brass, dark bronze or white. Regular maintenance is recommended for your Modern House Numbers. Please refer to the Caring for Your Product section below.
As a rule, uppercase letters will always match the size you have selected. Lowercase letters with a stem, like “b”, “d”, “l”, “p”, etc, will have a height that matches the size you have selected. Letters without a stem, like “a”, “c”, “e”, “m”, “o”, etc, will have heights less than the size you have selected. If you would like more detailed information or a custom size, email us for more information at email@example.com.
Visit our Installation Instructions for step-by-step text and photos instructions for all of our products.
Our house numbers, letters, and plaques can be installed with a “floating” effect or flush mount using the concealed hardware we provide. To obtain the “floating” look, use the ½ inch spacers included in your order. Omit the spacers for a flush look, just make sure to push your Modern House Numbers tight to the installation surface. Mounting hardware is used in both floating or flush-mount installations, requiring a clear, quick-drying, exterior-grade epoxy.
Yes! Concealed hardware, 2 inch steel studs and ½ inch aluminum spacers, are included with every number, letter, and plaque purchase.
When installing, you must fully protect the steel studs from the elements with the use of the included aluminum spacers or within your installation surface.
No, we are not able to ship epoxy, because it is a hazardous material. Epoxy can be easily found at your local home improvement store. We recommend clear, multipurpose, quick-drying epoxy.
All of our decals are made using an exterior grade, peel-and-stick vinyl. They will arrive arranged and spaced on a single adhesive sheet for ease of installation. All decals require a clean, smooth, and dry surface for proper adhesion. Please refer to our Installation Instructions for full details.
We are not able to ship aerosol spray paint due to it being a hazardous material. Spray paint can be easily found at your local home improvement or paint store. Below is a list of our suggested spray paint colors that coordinate nicely with our mailbox decals:
- Black: Rust-oleum Gloss Black
- White: Rust-oleum Gloss White
- Silver: Rust-oleum Metallic
- Green: Rust-oleum Fluorescent Green
- Blue: Rust-oleum Gloss Spa Blue
- Orange: Rust-oleum Gloss Orange
- Copper: Rust-oleum Gold Rush
- Brass: Rust-oleum Antique Brass
- Dark Bronze: Rust-oleum Espresso
Orders and Payment
A confirmation email will be sent to you that includes your purchase information and order number. Once the order leaves our warehouse, you will receive another email with a tracking number for your package.
All of our products, excluding QuickShip Numbers, are made to order. Please allow approximately 10 business days to process and manufacture your items prior to shipment. Delivery time varies by location.
Yes! Email us for information on expedited shipping options and fees.
We also have QuickShip Numbers available! Our QuickShip products include our most popular 6” Palm Springs numbers in brushed aluminum or matte black powder coat and are in-stock and available to ship the next business day. Delivery time varies by location via USPS Priority Mail.
Arizona residents will have sales tax automatically added to their order. If you are not an Arizona resident, you are expected to comply with your state’s current laws regarding purchases over the Internet.
We accept the payment by the following payment methods:
- American Express
- Apple Pay
- Shop Pay
- Diners Club
Yes! Modern House Numbers uses the Shopify platform to process payments. Shopify is PCI level 1 compliant for credit card processing which means that it adheres to the highest standards of server compliance.
Shipping and Delivery
Orders shipped with the continental USA are delivered via USPS Priority Mail or via UPS. Expected delivery time varies by zip code from 2-6 business days. The moment your order ships you will receive a tracking number via email and can view and estimated delivery date from the the carrier. Orders containing decals only will ship USPS First Class delivery, which takes 3-4 business days. Please remember to not include weekends or holidays in calculating the estimated transit time for your shipment. For expedited shipping options email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International shipping is available to select locations. International orders ship via United States Postal Service Priority Mail. Please note that there could be additional customs, taxes, duties, and/or brokerage fees imposed by your government or customs clearing agencies. Delivery time varies by location. If you need more information or faster shipping options, please contact us at email@example.com prior to placing your order.
The moment your order ships, you’ll receive your tracking number via email.
We know how frustrating a ‘Delivered’ but missing package can be! With the increases in both online shopping and parcel theft, this is sadly becoming more common. Unfortunately, once a package leaves our shop and the status is confirmed as ‘Delivered’ by the carrier, the recipient of the package must now contact the carrier.
- Locate the email with the shipping and tracking information for your order. Make a note of both the carrier and tracking number.
- Contact the carrier online or via phone. For orders shipped via USPS: USPS Missing Package
- Provide your tracking number to search and file a claim for your missing package.
- Inquire with other members of your household, and with neighbors.
- Check in unusual delivery locations, under plants, behind pots, etc.
Yes! Our operations are grounded in sustainable practices and principles. We’re always striving to be good stewards of our shared planet. Here are some of the ways we reduce our environmental impact and carbon footprint:
- We make everything in the USA
- We offer handcrafted products that are made to last
- We make our products to order, reducing dead stock and burden on the landfills
- We do not mass produce or outsource our manufacturing to other countries
- Our shipping boxes and envelopes are made from recycled content, and can be recycled
- Our international shipments are 100% carbon neutral via carbon offsets by the carrier
- We use recycled aluminum 100% of the time
- We use technology to maximize every plate of aluminum, and to reduce waste
- We recycle the aluminum by product and scraps produced during manufacturing
- We utilize an energy efficient, low heat, and chemical free water jet process
- We use a water-based, UV protectant that meets California Proposition 65
- Our powder coat finishes are extremely durable and low-VOC, with zero off gassing, and won’t chip, flake or rust
- We support like-minded vendors and suppliers
- We source and purchase supplies and materials locally whenever possible
- We dispose of materials responsibly, and have an in-house recycling program
- We support and donate to local organizations
- We volunteer and participate in community clean-up and beautification efforts
Yes! Our products are proudly handcrafted by our team in Tucson, Arizona.
Yes! All of our numbers, letters and plaques can be recycled. Visit our Sustainability page for more information on recycling your products and packaging.
Yes! Nearly all of the materials found in your package can be considered for recycling, repurposing, or composting. Visit our Sustainability page for more details, and to download our handy recycling guide.
- We handcraft our products, from solid recycled aluminum to last for years
- Our brushed aluminum products receive a water-based UV protectant to increase longevity in even the harshest conditions
- Our powder coat finishes are extremely durable and won’t rust, chip or flake.
- Applied using an electrostatic process, these finishes are low-VOC with zero off gassing
No. We do not mass produce our products. Our company was founded on the idea that we would handcraft our products, one customer at a time. After all these years, we are proud to say that everything we sell is still made by our team in Tucson, Arizona.
No. Everything we sell is crafted by our team in Tucson, Arizona. We’re passionate about quality and craftsmanship. We will never outsource our manufacturing to another country.
Yes! Our precision-crafted solid aluminum numbers and letters are made-to-order from 3/8” thick recycled aluminum. Our products are high quality and made to last for interior or exterior applications. Our brushed aluminum finish has a clear, UV-resistant sealant to protect against the elements. Durable powder coated finishes, highly recommended for coastal and industrial areas, are available in matte black, matte brass, dark bronze and white.
We personally inspect every single item before wrapping it for shipment. If you find an issue with the quality of any item in your order, please let us know within 7 business days from the date of delivery. We’ll make it right.
Our aluminum products are made from 3/8″ thick, recycled aluminum. Our brushed aluminum products are treated with a clear satin top coat that protects from UV, salt air, and other environmental corrosives. The life expectancy of powder coated products is much longer than painted products as these are more resistant to chipping, scratching, chemicals, fading, and general wear and tear. Our decals are made out of exterior-grade, sign quality vinyl.
Commercial and Professional Customers
Yes! We can meet your bulk/large order needs! We are highly experienced working with commercial customers and design professionals to fill large orders of plaques, address numbers and letters. We also provide wayfinding/directional signage, business signage, monument signs, restroom signs, custom fonts, integrated logos, and more. For custom projects a small design fee applies. Please contact your Professional Representative, Terry Billingsley, directly with your questions and ideas, and he can provide design assistance, digital design proofs and cost estimates. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yes! We are experts in creating custom products. Our in-house design team enjoys working with creative designers, architects, property managers, builders, homeowners associations, hardware stores, and municipalities to create custom products tailored to your project, development or commercial property. For custom products, a small design fee applies. Please contact your Professional Representative, Terry Billingsley, directly with your questions and ideas, and he can provide design assistance, digital proofs and cost estimates. Email him at email@example.com.
Yes! We can provide special pricing for large and bulk orders. Please contact Terry Billingsley, your Professional Representative, directly for more information. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Custom Products For Homeowners
Yes! Customization is more affordable than you might think. We enjoy working with creative homeowners to create custom products or unique designs. For custom projects, a small design fee applies. Please contact us directly with your ideas and we can provide design assistance and a cost estimate. Email us at email@example.com.
In addition to numbers 0-9, we also carry the entire A-Z alphabet, symbols and punctuation marks in all sizes. You can enter your numbers, letters and symbols into the preview box to view and order in each of our font options. For fractions like “½”, “¼” and others, email us directly and we can help you place a custom order with no design fee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Returns & Exchanges
We have high standards for our products. We personally inspect each item before we ship it to you. Upon arrival, please check your items thoroughly. Keep all original packing materials. If you have a damaged or incorrect item, please notify us via email at email@example.com within 7 days from the date of delivery, and we’ll be sure and get back to you within 24 hours or the next business day. If you are not happy, we’re not happy. We’ll make it right.
Our products are made-to-order, just for you. As a result, we are unable to accept returns or exchanges. Please check your order carefully prior to purchase.
Because our products are made-to-order, we are unable to make any modifications or cancel your order once it begins production. It is very important to double check your order carefully prior to purchase. If you need to make a change or cancel your order, contact us within 24 hours at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll let you know if we can accommodate your request.
Caring For Your Product
All of our products are manufactured for indoor or outdoor applications. Our aluminum products are treated with a weatherproof clear satin top coat that protects from UV, salt air, and other environmental corrosives. The life expectancy of powder coated products is much longer than painted products as these are more resistant to chipping, scratching, chemicals, fading, and general wear and tear. Our decals are made out of weatherproof exterior sign quality vinyl.
The effects of ultraviolet light, pollution, dirt, grime, and salt deposits can accumulate on any surface, including your Modern House Number products, over time. Regular maintenance should be implemented to ensure the removal of any residue and extend the effective life of your products. As a general rule, cleaning should take place every six months (every three months in coastal or industrial regions).
To clean the product surface:
- Carefully remove any loose deposits with a wet sponge.
- Use a soft cloth and a mild household detergent solution to remove dust, salt, and other deposits (i.e. mild dish detergent).
- Rinse off with clean fresh water.